God doesn't give children with special needs to strong people; He gives children with special needs to ordinary, weak people and then gives them strength. Raising a child with special needs doesn't take a special family, it makes a special family.

Wednesday, January 26, 2011

Diary of A Binky Addict....

Many of you have seen this duck. We never leave home without it. It's called a Wubbanub. Basically it's a duck stuffed with beany things with a pacifier sewed on the end. I learned about these things when Madelynn was just a few months old....I was so sick of her losing her binky at night, her not getting any sleep, and me not getting any sleep. This thing was a life saver! It was easier for her to find and harder for it to "roll" out of the crib. The first one we had was a pink horse, but she lost that on a visit to see Jonathan in the hospital back in July....let's just say that ride home was a NIGHTMARE!!

Needless to say, she is a binky addict. For months I have said, "Today is the day. I'm done with the binky drama! I'm taking it from her." Let's just say I don't have the heart to do it. She can't fall asleep without it. It keeps her content and quiet in the car. And lately, she's become a double fister. I'm not sure where she keeps finding binkys because whenever I try to find it, I can't seem to locate one. She'll just walk around with one in her mouth, one in her hand, and every so often she will switch them out.

She's even started taking them in the bathtub. Now I know what you're thinking....just take it from her! But I just can't bring myself to do it. Brenden never took a binky. I tried. Oh how I tried. But he never wanted it. So this is new to me. I took the bottle from her when she was about 9 months old and it was a piece of cake. She didn't care. But this...this is a whole different story. I'm hoping she will be one of those kids that just loses interest in it. Somehow I don't think that will happen, but I can hope, right? I now keep saying I will for sure get rid of it at 18 months old.....I'll update when the time comes :)


Here she is, switching it out :)

3 comments:

Joanna said...

I was a double fister paci-addict till 2yrs old - first my mom cut back to bed time and nap time only. Then one day they couldn't find any and she just said "sorry - they're all gone" and I guess I was okay with that. :) Good luck! I don't think giving her more time is bad at all!

Colleen said...

Oh, sounds a lot like Georgia! And to be honest, I haven't even thought about getting rid of it yet! Nate was even more of an addict, and I didn't get around to taking his away until he was three. (embarrassed) But he NEEDED it! :) When we did take it away, we could reason with him--the paci fairy came while he was sleeping and traded the paci for a new train he'd been wanting. He knew it was going to happen, and it actually went very easily. A couple times he started to ask for it and stopped himself. :) Anyway, hopefully Georgia won't take one that long, but I'm just going to wait until it feels right. Or my brother the dentist tells me its ruining her teeth.

Selina said...

Oh Girl. Mason was a little NUK junkie...We had our intervention over Christmas break, just after he turned 2. It. was. awful.
Crying. Begging. Pleading. Trying to tackle a small child at target who had a NUK in her mouth...But once it was done, it was done. I never let Maddie get attached to hers, and I am so glad!