God doesn't give children with special needs to strong people; He gives children with special needs to ordinary, weak people and then gives them strength. Raising a child with special needs doesn't take a special family, it makes a special family.

Thursday, November 17, 2011

Two blog posts in one week....it might just snow tonight! (Actually, I really hope not!) What an insanely crazy week it's been....and for some reason I thought I'd have more free time after the marathon was over! Speaking of the marathon, I still haven't been able to go for a run since NYC. Something still isn't right in my foot/ankle. I thought it was better, but twice this week I've had to go to the grocery store, and excessive walking brings on the pain....not even half way through the store I can barely walk. Of course I've put off going to get it looked at because A) I don't have much time and B) I'm worried what it could be. I remember the moment it happened during the race, whatever it is. It stopped me in my tracks, but of course the finish line was all that was on my mind, so I wasn't stopping. I'm really looking forward to being able to head out for a run, so hopefully whatever it is will heal.

Madelynn's birthday party is Saturday and for the first time ever, I'm totally not prepared!! I always have things planned way in advance for the kids' birthday parties, but this one just kinda crept up on me. For some reason I thought I had three weeks after the marathon before her party, but in reality, it was only two. So invitations were late getting out, her dress still isn't made, and until today I didn't have a clue what we were having to eat. Lesson learned though!

Brenden had a few proud moments this week. A few nights ago he gave himself a bath. With supervision of course, but the only help he needed was with washing his hair. While many of you may think this is no big deal, for us it is. Brenden's fine motor skills are improving, but he still has some weakness in his hands/fingers. We've been working really hard on OT, and he's definitely getting stronger. So for him to be able to wash himself is huge. Also, earlier this week my cousin Sara and I took the kids to open gym at the local gymnastics center. Brenden's been a few times, some with his PT from Birth to Three. They have a ladder type thing, only it lays on the ground instead of standing like a ladder. Less than a year ago, Brenden wasn't able to lift his legs high enough to step over each bar. Well now, he did it like he's been doing it forever. As soon as he made it all the way to the end, he said, "Mommy, I did a good job. Are you proud of me?"

Both kids are starting to get excited for Santa. Luckily Santa has been done shopping for over a month and will be done wrapping by next week. They both keep saying they want olives and bananas from Santa. And Madelynn adds M&M's, too. These two would live off of olives and bananas if they could.

Brenden's at the pediatrician as we speak, for the second time this week.....About 9:15 this morning his teacher called and said he started shivering at breakfast and hadn't stopped. She said he looked at her very seriously, and said, "Ms. Sue, I need you to call my mommy." So Jonathan went to pick him up....I had a feeling he would be running a fever, as this has happened a few times before. Turned out I was right, it was 103.1, even an hour after I gave him Tylenol. Crossing my fingers and praying it's strep or an ear infection, because if she doesn't find anything, she may be inclined to send us for a shunt check.

1 comment:

Uncle Larry/Aunt Barb said...

Praying for you & Brenden. Sweet stories about the children...love to hear them !!!! Love you all !!!!