God doesn't give children with special needs to strong people; He gives children with special needs to ordinary, weak people and then gives them strength. Raising a child with special needs doesn't take a special family, it makes a special family.

Monday, January 30, 2012

A friend had this posted on Facebook earlier today, and I couldn't help but borrow it. As I read this, I had tear filled eyes, and as I sit here typing it, I once again have tears swelling. I so vividly remember being told over and over, by many different doctors and nurses, that Brenden would NEVER walk. And while I've learned to take what doctors say with a grain of salt, there were moments I believed them. But those moments were short lived. In the few months following Brenden's birth, my attitude towards SB changed. I had to make sure it didn't control our lives. And part of that included us redifining SB, not allowing SB to define us.
--
From the begining, Brenden proved doctors wrong. And to this day, some of our doctors and therapists can't believe how far he's come. While we give God the glory for the many obstacles Brenden has over come, I know that the attitude Jonathan and I have taken has a lot to do with Brenden defying the odds. I've met parents who use their child's disability as an excuse, and likewise, the child learns to use it as an excuse. I've said a thousand times that we don't allow it. We push Brenden to reach his potential in everything. And I know that one day he will realize why.
--
Today was a rough day. Typical Monday, I guess. We had a rough morning to start. And then Brenden threw me a curve ball that warranted a visit to the pediatrician. He had therapy from 12:30-1:30...from there we had to pick up his new braces from the orthotist, both appointments in Winchester. Long story short, the pediatrician couldn't fit us in until evening clinic, which was unacceptable. Luckily I have a pretty good connection who got things taken care of and I was able to pick up a prescription this evening. But amidst this crazy day was a reminder that once again, Brenden is defying the odds.
--
About a year ago, Nicole, the world's best PT, wanted Brenden to get fitted for articulated AFO's....which means they are hinged at the heal. The orthotist we had been seeing said that she had never had an SB patient be able to use those because they don't provide enough support. Needless to say, she chose the wrong person to say that to, and we no longer use her. We were finally able to get in with a new orthotist, who after watching Brenden walk, thought he'd do ok with the hinged heal. When we picked them up today, she couldn't believe how well he walked with the new ones. She said she does have very few patients with spine related deficits who do well with this type of brace. But he was a rock star. He no longer can rely as much on the AFO to provide support....he has to use his muscles a lot more, which will help strengthen his ankles and quads.
--
The moral of this post is this: Regardless what life brings, be a fighter. If someone says you can't do something, don't accept it. Prove them wrong. If I had accepted what doctors told me almost four years ago, I'd still be feeling sorry for myself, for Brenden, and Spina Bifida would be running our life. Instead, I've chosen to to redefine this diagnosis. I've chosen to educate others. I've chosen to raise awareness.
--
And my pursuit to raise awareness continues with running the KY Derby Mini Marathon, to benefit the SBA of course. I'm not quite ready to run another full marathon yet, so for now I'm just doing a half. I am very excited for so many reasons....I will finally get to meet Colleen, who has become such a great friend. She has a son with SB and was among the first mom's I ever talked to after Brenden was born. She lives in KY (and has my dream job!) so we will finally get to meet when we are there for the race! I'm also excited because some friends of ours are running as well!! Fundraisers are in the works....trying to finalize some details and come up with new ideas! The kids will be going to KY with us (we're probably crazy as it's a loooonnnng drive!) but I'm excited that they will be there.

1 comment:

HennHouse said...

Yeah... He's a rock star. But so are you.