God doesn't give children with special needs to strong people; He gives children with special needs to ordinary, weak people and then gives them strength. Raising a child with special needs doesn't take a special family, it makes a special family.

Sunday, February 26, 2012

Busy week ahead!!

What a busy week we have coming! Not that every other week isn't full of it's own craziness, this one has a few extras! Friday Brenden and I are headed to UVA for his MRI. I'm not nearly as worried as I was this time last year, however I am prepared for what could come. Friday is also Brenden's 4th birthday! How do I have a four year old?!?!? It hardly seems possible that our journey began almost four years ago!
-
Saturday morning is my first fundraiser for the KY Derby Festival Mini (half) Marathon. The official name is "mini", however 13.1 miles is not really mini in my book. Compared to 26.2, then yes, I guess it is appropriate. My dad reminded me that it probably wasn't smart planning the fundraiser for the day after I'm at UVA alllll day, but somehow I'll pull it off! For those who are local, we would love to see you for an all you can eat pancake breakfast on Saturday morning! It starts at 7am, at our church, Mt. View.
-
Brenden's forearm crutches should finally be here this week. While we know it will be a long process teaching him to use them, it's a starting point. It seems as though he's reached a plateau from a PT standpoint, so hopefully this will be a new challenge. He has exceeded his PT goals at school, so we will be modifying that soon when we have his IEP meeting. Knock on wood, but this week or next we should also be getting his wheelchair. After a year. Literally. I'll keep my opinions to myself in regards to how I feel about it taking a year to get a kid fitted for a wheelchair. As I've said before, it will just be for long distances....we will still expect him to walk whenever possible, but he's getting too big, and really too old, to be in a stroller. A wheelchair will allow him independence as well, which he doesn't have in a stroller.
-
Your continued prayers are always appreciated as we prepare for the MRI/results. We may have preliminary results on Friday, but most likely not until our clinic visit Monday morning. Unfortunately we have to make a trip Friday and then again on Monday.....which is two thumbs down given the recent rise in gas prices. But on the flip side we can count our blessings that our trips to UVA have been very few in the past year!!

1 comment:

Uncle Larry/Aunt Barb said...

First of all thank you for the blog. We like that it keeps us connected. We will continue to keep you all in prayer. We realize you all have alot going on but hence the name of the blog...our crazy, happy life. We love you guys !