God doesn't give children with special needs to strong people; He gives children with special needs to ordinary, weak people and then gives them strength. Raising a child with special needs doesn't take a special family, it makes a special family.

Monday, March 12, 2012

I've sat down with the intention of doing a birthday post several times now, but it seems as though I can never get out what I really want to, so here goes another try, so if you are reading this, it was a successful attempt!
-
It seems impossible that Brenden is four years old, it seems like just yesterday this journey began. For the fourth time, we spent his birthday at UVA, for his MRI. While I realize the time will come when spending his birthday at the hospital is not ideal, it gives me the opportunity to reflect on just how far we've come. I remember every single detail about the day Brenden was born, even the clothes I wore. Walking through the doors to the hospital on his birthday, I was overcome with emotion, remembering the pain, the fear, the uncertainty that we felt as we walked through those doors just four years ago.
-
This past year Brenden has come so far. He now walks independently with his walker....everywhere! He loves school....and I survived! (Now he's asking to ride the bus, not sure I'll survive letting him do that!) He's no longer in diapers, huge accomplishment!!! He talks NONSTOP. Not kidding, he doesn't stop. He is an amazing big brother to Madelynn....if she's spending the night with someone (like today since we had to leave for UVA super early), the first thing he wants to do when he wakes up is call her. Now don't get me wrong, 3 was a terrible age. I'm hoping a more peaceful year awaits us. Whoever said 2 was the worse age, clearly must have made that statement before their child turned 3.
-
Medically, we've had an easy year. For the first time ever, we were able to celebrate making it a full year with no trips into the operating room. We made a total of 6 trips to UVA for the year, much better than 20-30 trips in previous years.
-
Madelynn's birthday present to Brenden was becoming potty trained :) While Jonathan and my parents weren't fans of my method, it only really took 2 weeks of consistency, and voila, she's in panties! She stays dry at nap time and stayed dry last night, too! She has had one accident, but I can't really blame it on her....we were in the car on our way home Friday night and she told me she had to potty, but we were literally a minute from the house with nowhere to stop....oh well, her car seat cover needed washed anyways!!
-
The KY Derby Mini Marathon is quickly approaching!! I am only $140 away from reaching my fundraising goal....many heartfelt thanks to those who have supported me!! Our hotel reservations have been made, my team shirt has arrived (though it may need some tweaking!), and training is going well. The only kink is that Jonathan has been scheduled for training out of town, which doesn't end until Friday, but we are leaving on Thursday. So we are trying to figure out a way to work things out so he's able to go!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

He reminds me every day how good God has been these short four years, i know amazing things are in store for him and all of us in the next four, love you all
nana

Uncle Larry/Aunt Barb said...

It is hard to believe Brenden is four. I know the journey has had it's ups and downs but through it all I know you have never been alone. Thank you Lord