God doesn't give children with special needs to strong people; He gives children with special needs to ordinary, weak people and then gives them strength. Raising a child with special needs doesn't take a special family, it makes a special family.

Monday, April 23, 2012

Yikes!  It's been a while!!  Life has been crazy though, so that would explain it!!  This time next week I will have finished another half marathon!  We leave Thursday morning to head to Kentucky and I am excited beyond words.  I get to meet some amazing SB moms, who have also become friends, which is probably going to be the highlight of the trip for me.  I'm also excited that the kids will be there for the race....we're still mapping out the course, but I should get to see them at mile 3, mile 6, and then of course at the finish, but maybe one more time, too.  And of course my parents are going, too!!  The loooong drive is less than exciting, but I'm really hopeful that the kids cooperate!
-
We've had some major, major issues with our practically brand new van, which has caused me much anxiety.  It is still at the dealership (almost two weeks now)....long story short they can't get it fixed, so it's being reviewed by Chrysler to determine if they are just going to give us a new van.  I wouldn't be so irritated by this if it weren't for the timing, because, hello....we need this to drive to Kentucky!!  But after talking to the service manager they have agreed to get us a rental or give us one off the lot (we are currently driving their 10 yr old loaner w/ 136,000 miles) so that eases my mind a little, but I really want to put this behind us!!

Brenden started riding with Horses with Hearts again last week....this past week he rode with no belt!  Usually they have a belt w/ handles for the side walkers to hold on to, but he didn't want to put it on, so after some serious conversation, Brenden agreed to sit up tall, hold on, and ride like a big boy....and he did AWESOME!!!  Towards the end of the lesson he started to get a little tired, but I was super impressed.  We are so thankful for the wonderful volunteers, who have become friends, that run this program.  This is Brenden's third year riding and he has come so far since his first lesson!
-
Brenden gets out of school in less than a month!!!!  I was able to get him in for Summer school, but that doesn't start until mid-July, so I better find some things to do!  He tends to get bored at home, so I'm trying to get both kids involved in lots this Summer..
 

Miss Madelynn.....this little girl melts my heart every day.  Watching her with Brenden makes me a proud mom....she just seems to 'get' that he needs extra help and she's always willing.  She has become a little drama queen, which makes me laugh many times a day.  If she gets in trouble for something, she'll get this sad looking face, and in a very pitiful voice say, "I not feel good, my throat hurts," or "I'm tired."  Whenever I tell her I love you, she responds with, "I love you most-est, most-est."  She loves being outside, riding her bike, playing in the sand box, or playing ball. I asked her today what she wants to be when she grows up, her reply, "Um, a princess and an inmate."  Great aspirations, huh?!  Both kids hear way too much about jail, inmates, etc, etc...."Jail" is one of their favorite things to play.  Last week they were playing in Brenden's room and I heard him tell her to turn around and put her hands up on the wall so he could hand cuff her.  She of course obliged and all I could do was laugh.  (If she hadn't been naked I would have taken a picture because it was probably one of the funniest things I've seen between the two of them.) 
-
I'll be sure to update next week with race highlights.....Thank you from the bottom of my heart to all those who have helped me get here! 

1 comment:

Uncle Larry/Aunt Barb said...

We are proud of you, for all you do. You have a busy life but that does not stop you from always trying to make a difference. Good luck in the race !! We love you guys !!