God doesn't give children with special needs to strong people; He gives children with special needs to ordinary, weak people and then gives them strength. Raising a child with special needs doesn't take a special family, it makes a special family.

Thursday, May 31, 2012

I just realized it's been a while since I've updated, but didn't think it had been that long!  Brenden got out of school much earlier this year so our Summer is in full force!  Jonathan of course works.  Like every single day.  But the kids and I have been riding bikes, playing in the water, the sandbox, going to gymnastics, painting, and the list goes on.  He's really tough to keep entertained, but I'm doing my best! 

In the next few weeks he will be starting t-ball and swimming lessons!  I found a t-ball league last year that is designed for special needs kids, not in Berkeley County of course, but in Winchester.  It's for kids ages 4-18 and quite honestly, that's all I know!  He's excited, but I'm not really sure if he knows what it entails.  Every kid has to have an adult with them on the field at all  times, so Jonathan has taken off every Friday to be there.  (In case you didn't notice, I'm not much into sports!)  He will also be getting private swim lessons....I had a tough time finding any group lessons for 4 year olds that will allow parents to be involved, and for obvious reasons I think he will need a little extra help....not to mention that the schedules didn't work with ours....so private it is!

My sweet little princess will be starting *gasp* Ballet!  I really have been pushing gymnastics, but she is insistent on Ballet, though I'm not really sure why.  I've signed her up for a Summer dance camp just to make sure she's ready to start in the Fall, since she won't be quite 3 yet, so we'll see how she does.  For a while, we really thought she had a bit of a tomboy side, but that seems to have disappeared.  She wants to wear a dress.  Every day.  She makes sure her shoes and hair bow match her outfit (as if I would let them not match anyways!), and she asks for her fingers and toes to be painted a few times a week.  She's so funny lately but continues to develop quite the attitude.  She still wants to be a princess when she grows up and tells me that I can come live in her castle. 

They both made their performing debut a few weeks ago in church.  The kids club, Word of Life, was in charge of the service so each age group had a part.  Madelynn doesn't go to Gopher Buddies, because she's not old enough.  But that morning she somehow made her way up on stage with Brenden's group, and I think it's safe to say she was the star of the show.  She's usually quite shy around people, but I guess all it took was her own microphone.  She sang her little heart out!  (And yes, I shed a few tears!)  Brenden was his usual comedic self, and while he didn't do much singing, he answered all the questions about Jonah and the Whale.  Yep, I was a proud mama! 

On the medical front, Brenden is doing well!  We do have a few appointments coming up, but no surprises expected.  Next week we head to UVA for urology and I'm about 99.9% certain that will go as always, perfectly.  In July we head to Philadelphia for an appointment at Shriner's which will just be routine as well.  He has an evaluation with a new PT next week and I'm super excited for that.  It's no secret that I'm less than pleased with the PT he gets through the school system, so I'm looking forward to progress!  We continue to work with his forearm crutches and as I expected, it will take time, but last week for the first time, he stood for over a minute with them, without losing his balance.  He was excited, Madelynn was excited and clapping for him, and I of course was crying.  It seems like he's been at a stand still with gross motor, again, because of lack of a strong PT to push him, so this was exciting. 

I continue to pray for the "perfect" job to come my way....if there really is such a thing?!?  I'm really, really ready to go back to work, but of course need something with a schedule that will allow me to be home part of the day.  I really want something that I can work evenings or nights, so I'm limited in what I can do.  (Especially with a business degree!)

Enjoy your Summer!!

No comments: