God doesn't give children with special needs to strong people; He gives children with special needs to ordinary, weak people and then gives them strength. Raising a child with special needs doesn't take a special family, it makes a special family.

Tuesday, July 3, 2012

It's no secret I've been slacking on the blog, but I surely didn't realize it had been over a month!  The last several weeks have been busy, crazy, fun, and everything in between.  We've taken a trip to Hershey Park, Dutch Wonderland, two trips to UVA, and next week will be heading to Philadelphia for another doctor's appointment.

The kids loved Hershey and Dutch Wonderland.  This was really the first time they experienced a theme park and they did great!  Dutch Wonderland was SO accommodating with Brenden which was such a relief.  The first ride they got on together had me on edge, but they did great and most importantly, they loved it!! 

Brenden had two uneventful trips to UVA, which we expected, but there's always that chance of something sneaking up so I'm never 100% confident until we get good news.  Next week is his appointment with ortho at Shriner's in Philly, which again, should be just a routine visit.  Brenden has been in seeing a new PT for the Summer and we LOVE her!!  She pushes him to his full potential (unlike the PT he has at school), which he needs.  He's working hard with his "sticks" (crutches) and though slow, is making progress.  His OT feels that he's ready to be discharged, which is bittersweet for me.  He truly has come a long way, but I'm not confident in what he receives in school, so I always feel like he needs the extra therapy.  Speaking of school, he starts Summer school next week.  He really doesn't "need" to go, but I persuaded his teacher into agreeing with me that it would be beneficial, so he was approved.  Though he won't be receiving any therapy, it will at least give him interaction with other kids and something to occupy him for at last 4 hours a day, if only for a few weeks. 

Madelynn is showing us the terrible 2's!!  She is quite the sweetheart, but if she doesn't get her way, watch out!!  She can go from sweet and innocent to a whiny drama queen in a flash!  If looks could kill, we would have been gone a long time ago!!  She starts Summer dance camp next week to see if she's ready for Ballet this Fall and she is VERY excited. 

As for me, I got a JOB!!!  I've mentioned before that I'm SOOOO ready to go back to work. God's hand was truly in this and I'm so thankful.  It's only part-time, and it's evening shift which is what I wanted.  I am so looking forward to time out of the house and adult interaction!  It should alleviate some of Jonathan's overtime, so he won't have to work 70+ hours a week.  I would still love to go back to school for Nursing, but time will tell if that's a reality or not.  My bachelor's degree in Business seems useless because I want nothing to do with the business world anymore, but I guess I have the piece of paper....

Today was the day for comments from ignorant people, but it deserves a blog post of its own, so I'll save it for next time!!

No comments: